Sunday 15 January 2012

Bookmarks, Bookmarks... and tons of Bookmarks

As a normal human being, I like to procrastinate. It's just a human instinct, to procrastinate. Some people may have mild case, others not so. Some people actually have good control and was able to complete the task as soon as possible, others, like yours truly, does not have good control over the overpowering feeling of laziness, troublesome-ness and procrastination. As a result, lots of work and chores had been pushed back, even personal interest. I even procrastinate while surfing the Internet. That is how serious the situation I'm currently in. I tend to open too many tabs (extremely bad habit of mine) and ended up opening too many windows (a recently acquired bad habit, thanks to Chrome's swiftness). By the end of the day, I would like to open the tabs again. However, it was too much that I just lazily save all tabs in a new folder as bookmarks. And did I actually re-opened those tabs the next day? Surprise surprise, I don't. The folder kept increasing, the bookmark links was never-ending and I ended up with too many tabs that I don't even know how to organize.

Reasons why I love to bookmark every damn site I visit were:
1) fear of forgetfulness of potentially useful sites
2) for the sake of whenever I'm bored, I would just browse through the bookmarks and see whichever links caught my interest
3) for interest or hobby
4) to gain knowledge
5) for future references
6) to save all the data I encountered
7) just for the heck of it

I used to use Mozilla and God knows how much bookmarks I got there. Let me give you a hint, it's more than one thousand. Now, I'm a converted Chrome user and would not want to suffer the pain of scrolling down tons of bookmarks that may or may not be useless. So I leveled up and discovered it was much more easier to create so many folders. Alas, the number of bookmarks in Chrome are increasing as we speak. Nevertheless, I tried to change my ways and during my free time, I would see which links were broken already or for sites I saved for references in my assignments, I would save the links in Word Document. I still haven't decided what to do with the rest of my bookmarks once I'm through with them.

I had Google-d about people that are in the same situation with me, and I actually managed to find few links pertaining to this matter. The advice that had been given were quite enlightening and I'm trying my best to adapt to those methods. I shall update this blog in the future about this quest and what are the progress or results and lesson learned.













No comments:

Post a Comment