Tuesday 17 January 2012

Movie Review: Turning Point 2: Laughing Gor Returns

Honestly, I have no idea what Turning Point was all about. I actually watched this movie for the very first time. Let's just say, it's totally not what I expected. At all.

The main lead of this movie is obviously, Laughing Gor, played by Michael Tse. Francis Ng played a former professor, Fok Tin Yam, and some sort of a criminal psychologist/psychiatrist. Main casts also included Bosco Wong, Kate Tsui, Kara Hui, Chapman To and Janice Man.

This movie dealt with numerous flashbacks, obviously in tie with the earlier series, Lives of Omission. There were also lots of theories being thrown in, what is considered black and white, whether law is justified and so on and so forth. I find the professor's belief quite interesting, albeit a little twisted in a way that he was willing to sacrifice people for his cause. Between Laughing Gor and Fok Tin Yam's beliefs, I'm actually leaning more towards the professor's view. The character, Laughing Gor, failed to impress me with his moral belief and I find him a quintessential policeman, someone that could only see black or white, not the gray line. From my point of view, there were times where the law was unable to uphold justice, and this was why some people actually resorted to crime, for the sake of justice and fairness. For example, in Arthur Miller's play, A View from the Bridge, Marco, one of the illegal immigrants, was snitched and never be able to go to America to find jobs. The fact that he actually entered illegally was to find money for the sake of his family that were starving in poverty in Italy. Eddie, the main character who snitched on him, would be consider a loyal citizen in the eyes of law. However, his Italian community would forever see him as a traitor of their own kind and that he was in the wrongs. Marco wanted to get justice yet Eddie did not do no wrong. In the end, Marco killed Eddie. Justice was served, however, Marco would most probably be arrested for killing a person. Moral of the story? To get justice, you may have to break the law. Yet for the justice you yearn for, you may be prosecuted for the crime you had to commit.

Perhaps another reason why I'm not impressed with the main lead was due to the actor being overshadowed by the strong performance by Francis Ng. Honestly, at times, I even forgot that this movie was about Laughing Gor and thought it's more about Fok Tin Yam. I actually thought the other main casts had more screen time compared to the main lead himself.

I would give this movie a rating of 2 out of 10. This movie was just not my cup of tea. It left me confused, bewildered and not to mention, annoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment