Wednesday 22 August 2012

Japanese Journalist Killed in Syria: My thoughts

Now, I just turned 20 years old and I'm not exactly very knowledgeable in the areas of politics and world peace. Frankly because I'm just not that interested in these topic. It irks me, for some reason. However, after stumbling upon a news of a Japanese journalist killed in Syria, I felt compelled to share my thoughts and opinion to these matters.

I was watching the news halfway and they showed this video of a Japanese lady, a journalist who is reporting in the midst of violence and shooting. I later found out that this was in Syria and the video shown was the last clip of her reporting. She was shown to give some warnings to the people nearby of armed people coming and even interviewed some civilians along the way. Somewhere in the middle of the video, she was missing and later a clip showing people carrying a body wrapped in a long, black plastic bag in the hospital. That body was her. And her name is Mika Yamamoto. For more detailed information, Click this link.

I have no idea why I was particularly intrigued by her death. It's not like she's the first ever journalist to be ever killed. I've seen and read some news of reporters and journalists that lost their lives while reporting at these dangerous countries. Perhaps it was her appearance and her gender, a lady who spoke with a polite-sounding voice and the fact that the clip was actually her few hours before the very end of her life.
In another news article, a rebel fighter said, "I hope that these countries that have not been moved by Syrian blood will be moved by the blood of their people." He's been upset by the lack of action from other countries and international bodies, so it's understandable that he uttered these words.

I guess what drawn me to this particular news was that here is a woman, who had been through and reported at least two notable wars. She wanted to report to show the world of the sufferings behind these wars and conflict that can easily be overlooked by leaders and politicians around the world. I respect her bravery, as well as other journalist and reporters that risked their lives, and some that died while on duty, to go these conflict-filled and dangerous countries for the sake of showing the world the reality and grueling truth of the suffering of the people and how severe the war is.

I really do not understand why war occur, just as most normal people do. Why would war even happen in the first place? Is it for the people? For freedom? For the nation? For the people? Yet these all came at the expense of innocent lives. What is so good about war? That the invaluable lives of people are traded? Will war ever end? Can we even prevent war from happening in the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment